the factors influencing faculty decisions to stay or to accept external offers;
the duration, progression, and observations of the job search and transition; and
the qualities and importance of external offers and counteroffers.
- the search for a new position;
- the nature of the outside offer;
- the compelling factors in a decision to depart or stay;
- the influence of spouses’ and partners’ careers;
- the counteroffer process;
- the transition to a new institution;
- the work environment; and of course,
- the demographic characteristics of our population.
With a shareable, adaptive, and validated instrument to replace the individual efforts of universities to date, COACHE and its partners will better understand how to succeed at retention actions, how to prevent retention cases in the first place, and how to make smarter investments in faculty development and success. In addition, we have learned that there is value in simply asking faculty about their experiences: doing so imparts a sense, even as faculty are leaving, that their university cares about them.